Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Does he contract "You don't wanna" (at 03:20 [
]} to like (1) /jə dʌ/ə wanna/ wɑːnə/ more like (2) /jə d wɑːnə/? I hear his contradiction to just / 'd/. In two more episodes of this video recording (starting from 03:41) the speakers (the lady and the guy) say "don't" with a more prolonged syllable so I can hear r/jə dʌ/ə wanna/ in their speech. Please let me know your thoughts on that.

Are you asking if he contracts "You don't want to" to "You don't wanna"? If so, yes. If you're asking if contracts "You don't wanna" even further, no.

Reactions: 5jj
Are you asking if he contracts "You don't want to" to "You don't wanna"? If so, yes. If you're asking if contracts "You don't wanna" even further, no.
I am confused about what the teacher/commentator explains at 03:30. In particularly, she says that "don't" also gets modified. That is why my question is whether "don't wanna" is modified even further.

I am confused about what the teacher/commentator explains at 03:30. In particularly, she says that "don't" also gets modified. That is why my question is whether "don't wanna" is modified even further.
Is "t" actually omitted there when the actors in those episodes say very fast?

Is "t" actually omitted there when the actors in those episodes say talk very fast?
It's not omitted so much as sort of swallowed. It can sound like "donwanna".

Study the difference between "say" (transitive) and "talk" (intransitive).

It's not omitted so much as sort of swallowed. It can sound like "donwanna".

Study the difference between "say" (transitive) and "talk" (intransitive).
Is it a sort of t "stop" there?

I hear no trace of a t sound in his "don't want to".

Also @emsr2d2 I'm not clear on the distinction between omitted and swallowed. Could you please explain it a bit more?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back