... yet in this tiny brain are encoded some of the most complex ...

atabitaraf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
The typical structure of an English sentence is SVO, subject verb object, but there are some inverted structures too. Here in this specific text from CAMBRIDGE IELTS 4, page 126, the structure seems familiar to me, but I cannot relate it to any grammar rule.

A bee's brain is the size of a grass seed, yet in this tiny brain are encoded some of the most complex and amazing behavioral patterns witnessed outside humankind.

I believe the structure is: YET + ADVERB + BE + PP + NOUN

Why can it not be 'in this tiny brain some of the most complex and amazing behavioral patterns are encoded'?

Last edited:
yet in tis tiny brain
I presume this was meant to be "this" or "its".
Why can it not be 'in this tiny brain, some of the most complex and amazing behavioral patterns are encoded'?
It can, and that's what it means. The author decided to use an inversion technique for dramatic effect.

"Yet" is used to add emphasis to the fact that, despite the bee's brain being minute, it is capable of holding information responsible for its complex behavioral patterns. It means the same as the conjunctions, "nevertheless/notwithstanding".

It can, and that's what it means. The author decided to use an inversion technique for dramatic effect.
I think the inversion form is 'yet in this tiny brain are some of
the most complex and amazing behavioral patterns
encoded'.

are (be) some of the most complex and amazing behavioral patterns (object) encoded (past participle)

in this tiny brain are encoded some of the most complex and amazing behavioral patterns witnessed outside humankind

The blue part is a long subject phrase, not an object.
The red part is the predicate.
The green part is the fronted adverbial.

The word 'yet' isn't part of the structure.

in this tiny brain are encoded some of the most complex and amazing behavioral patterns witnessed outside humankind

Great response, thanks. But, isn't it all about 'yet'? I though because of having 'yet' we do the inversion.

Previously I though inversion means changing 'be' with the subject when we have a 'be' verb. But now, you are telling me that inversion means changing the places of subject and predicate. Did I understand well?

But, isn't it all about 'yet'? I thought because of having 'yet' we do the inversion.

No, the word 'yet' is irrelevant.

Previously I thought inversion means changing 'be' with the subject when we have a 'be' verb. But now, you are telling me that inversion means changing the places of subject and predicate. Did I understand well?

Yes, but it's not always the verb 'be'. You can invert pretty much any verb that relates to location or movement:

In the corner stood a tall grandfather clock.
On top of the hill sat an old church.
There goes my lunch.
Here comes the sun.

Regarding #1,
Yes, but it's not always the verb 'be'. You can invert pretty much any verb that relates to location or movement:

"in this tiny brain are encoded some of the most complex and amazing behavioral patterns"
Once again, the question is that in this sentence the verb is not inverted with the subject, but the subject is inverted with the whole predicate. This is something new that I learned from you. We can change the place of the subject either with the verb or with the whole predicate.

Yes. In this case, 'are encoded' is a passive voice verb phrase. The verb 'encoded' is the main verb and 'are' is its auxiliary. This verb pair stays together.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back