Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Kuwait
Current Location
Kuwait
When someone is excited or happy about something, they would say "yahoo".
But I'm sure the word has a different spelling, because "yahoo" in dictionaries has a totally different meaning.

Thanks.

Somebody who is excited or happy about something might indeed say "Yahoo!"
:)

(Not a teacher)

I've never heard yahoo said meaning the meaning found in dictionaries - un uncultivated person. It seems to come from the book Gulliver's Travels However, I've also never heard anyone actually say 'yahoo!' as a form of joy or expression. Cartoon characters and things maybe, but it would be strange to my ear to hear 'yahoo' at all outside the internet search engine.

Note, however, that 'yahoo' meaning an uncultivated person is pronounced YAhoo, with the stress on 'ya'. The expression of joy is either equal stress on both syllables, or more stress on 'hoo'.

(Not a teacher)

I've never heard yahoo said meaning the meaning found in dictionaries - un uncultivated person. It seems to come from the book Gulliver's Travels However, I've also never heard anyone actually say 'yahoo!' as a form of joy or expression. Cartoon characters and things maybe, but it would be strange to my ear to hear 'yahoo' at all outside the internet search engine.

Note, however, that 'yahoo' meaning an uncultivated person is pronounced YAhoo, with the stress on 'ya'. The expression of joy is either equal stress on both syllables, or more stress on 'hoo'.
I was watching the Smurfs today, and Handy Smurfy said "Yahoo", and yes the stress was on the second syllable.
Thanks Linguist.

Check, for instance, its interjection meaning here:
yahoo - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary
Finally! Thanks :)
I doubted the spelling, because I could not even find it in Oxford dictionary:
AskOxford: yahoo

Why don't most dictionary enlist it? Is it too colloquial to be listed? :-|

I had encountered it in Westerns but just took it that it was a generic sound of excitement. However, I was fascinated when watching a programme on prairie dogs that the animals when a threat has gone [like a hawk or a coyote moving off] stood on their hindlegs, threw their front paws upwards and then plunge back down to normal stance. As they do this, they vocalize and it sounded just like "ya-hoo", the "ya" as they raise their front paws and the "hoo" as they drop back down. So my mind began to consider that maybe pioneers and cowboys saw this behaviour and adopted the sound.

:up: ... and as so often, schwa goes with the absence of stress; so the shout of exultation is /jə'hu:/ whereas the (pretty rare, in my experience) 'uncultivated person' meaning has the pronunciation /'ja:hu/. A similar change in stress/vowel quality occurs in the idiomatic (Br English) phrase 'Hooray-Henry' (/'hu:reɪ/ [= a rich and spoilt and loud and stupid young man.])

b

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back