Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
When describing a chart such as pie chart or table, Can I use phrases like?

1-X experienced a downward trend.

2+X experienced an upward trend.

3-X fell from 2008 to 2009.

There is no trend a pie chart and table, in other words " movement" the number in table are fixed.

Regarding 1 and 2, probably not, though it depends to some extent on what X is.

3 is probably okay, but it depends on what X is.

For a more practical answer, give us an example sentence.

When describing a chart such as a pie chart or table, can I use phrases like the following?

1-X experienced a downward trend.
2+X experienced an upward trend.
3-X fell from 2008 to 2009.

There is no trend a pie chart and table, in other words "movement" the number in table are fixed. I can't make sense of any part of this sentence. Please explain it in a different way.
See my corrections and comment above. Why are 1 and 3 followed by a dash but 2 is followed but a + sign?

See my corrections and comment above. Why are 1 and 3 followed by a dash but 2 is followed but a + sign?

As to why I used + sign, I should have used a dash with number 2 My apology.

In charts such as line graph and bar graph, there is a changing trend or movements over the years ( up and down). For example, figure A in line graph, is 75% in 2009 ,but in 2003, it experienced a gradual decrease to 35%. The decline is clearly noticed in the chart.

With regard to fixed charts such as pie chart or table. In my humble opinion, I can't say the percentage/ number had gradually increased. There is no upward and downward trend.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back