Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Is it correct to say :
"I am writing to inform you about my request for temporary moving to our italy's brach."
Can you suggest me a better sentence?

As quoted I would interpret the statement to mean that the request had already been submitted, but there is additional information you want to provide about the request. However, if it is your initial request, I would say, "This is a request for you to consider a (or "my) temporary move to our Italy branch (or "location)".

Is it correct to say :
"I am writing to inform you of my request to temporarily move to our Italian branch."
Can you suggest me a better sentence?
It depends on whom you're writing to.

- If you're writing to the person who will decide whether you get the a transfer, it should say something like: "I write to request a temporary transfer to our Italian branch." You're not informing your employer of the request, you're requesting.

You could also just say: "I request a temporary transfer to our Italian branch."

- But if you're telling someone else about the request (for instance, a friend, family member, or business contact), then it's grammatically correct but too formal. You could say something like: "I'm writing to let you know that I'm requesting a temporary transfer to our Italian branch."

You could also just say: "I've requested a temporary transfer . . . ." or "I'm requesting a temporary transfer . . . ."​

Notice that the word write isn't really necessary (unless you love the sound of it), and we call a change of work location within a company a transfer. It can be either a noun and a verb.

Is it correct to say (no colon here) "I am writing to [STRIKE]inform you about my[/STRIKE] request [STRIKE]for[/STRIKE] a temporary [STRIKE]moving[/STRIKE] move to our branch in Italy." [STRIKE]'s branch."[/STRIKE]

Can you suggest [STRIKE]me[/STRIKE] a better sentence?

Note my corrections above.

(Cross-posted with Charlie Bernstein)

Last edited:
Don't you have to give reason(s) why you need the temporary transfer to your company's branch in Italy for your superior to consider?

Last edited by a moderator:
Notice that the word write isn't really necessary (unless you love the sound of it), and we call a change of work location within a company a transfer. It can be either a noun and a verb.

I always thought it is the best way to start a formal letter to your boss with "I a writing to inform/request .... " and directly writing " I am informing/requesting ... " is considered impolite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back