Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I met a young man from Korea and he speaks no Chinese. I then said to him "I can teach you some sentences" and I taught him. He learned quickly and said those sentences naturally. I then said to him "Wow, you have an ability for learning Chinese".

Is the italic sentence natural?

I met a young man from Korea and, at the time, he [STRIKE]speaks[/STRIKE] spoke no Chinese. I [STRIKE]then[/STRIKE] said to him "I can teach you some sentences" and I [STRIKE]taught him[/STRIKE] did. He learned quickly and said those sentences naturally. I then said to him "Wow, you have [STRIKE]an ability[/STRIKE] a real talent for learning Chinese".

Is the italic sentence natural?

Now it is.

Now it is.

I think you could use the word 'aptitude' here, which suggests a kind of talent that makes things easy.

'You have an aptitude for Chinese' or 'You have a natural aptitude for Chinese'.

Last edited:
I think you could use the word 'aptitude' here, which suggests a kind of talent that makes things easy.

'You have an aptitude for Chinese' or 'You have a natural aptitude for Chinese'.

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

"Aptitude" is a great suggestion. Note that I've added the missing punctuation to your post above.

Note that I've added the missing punctuation to your post above.
We're punctilious about punctuation here.

Welcome, alexanderfinn.

Is the following sentence also natural?

You have a gift for Chinese.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought saying one is "gifted" is more common than "have a gift".

'You have a gift for Chinese' is a perfectly good sentence and doesn't need to be altered. In my experience, 'to be gifted' is a more general expression and doesn't require further description.

For example: 'Mozart was gifted.'

'Mozart had a gift for music.'

Last edited by a moderator:
I think gift is just about okay, but I'll second tedmc's suggestion of flair, which is better.

A gift is something that is innate. It's hard to imagine how someone could have an innate ability specifically with Chinese. Languages in general, yes, but Chinese specifically, no. I don't think flair has such a general sense of innateness, and so lends itself better to the special case of expressing oneself in the Chinese language.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back