Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Source : Grammar Zone Basics, 98-1b

Please let me know if my interpretation is correct.

1. Would you like some coffee, sir? : correct
Do you want a specific, limited type of coffee?
In this case, some seems to indicate "a specific or limited type", not some amount.

2. Would you like any coffee, sir? : incorrect
Do you want an unspecific, unlimited, whatever type of coffee?

The phrase with "some" is usually spoken when the coffee is in hand or nearby, so I think I'll agree with your intuition.

There's nothing strictly ungrammatical about "would you like any coffee", but it seems a little awkward.

To express some of the meaning you're looking for, I think it's better to ask simply, "Would you like coffee, sir?" or "Will you have coffee, sir?". "Will you have any coffee?" does seem less awkward, I think.

I don't think there is any difference between the two.

Would you like some coffee?
Would you like a cup of coffee?

I would expect to hear one of those.

Please let me know if my interpretation is correct.

1. Would you like some coffee, sir? : correct
Do you want a specific, limited type of coffee?
In this case, some seems to indicate "a specific or limited type", not some amount.

No, that's not correct.

2. Would you like any coffee, sir? : incorrect
Do you want an unspecific, unlimited, whatever type of coffee?

No, that's not correct.

The appropriate form depends to a large extent on situational context and also, I think, on the speaker's understanding of the listener's expectations.

You're on the right lines in thinking that there is some relation to specificity here, but this is not at all related to type or amount. The speaker is much more likely to use some if, say, he's holding the coffee in his hand or close to his person as he speaks, i.e. when the reference is obvious to the listener.

Last edited:
In most circumstances, if a waiter said "Would you like any coffee?", it would mean the same as simply saying "Would you like a coffee?" The responder might use "any" in a dialogue such as this:

Waiter: Would you like a coffee?
Diner: Yes, that would be great.
Waiter: What would you like? We can do you a cappuccino, a macchiato, an espresso, a flat white ...
Diner: Oh, it doesn't really matter. I'm happy with any coffee!

In that dialogue, "any" does mean something closer to "an unspecified type of".

Give me a cappuccino.
:-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back