Student or Learner
Native Language
Nepali
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
India
Hello,

I am wondering whether would can be used in place of did not in past narrative.
For example: They would admit neither X nor Y. He tried to make her understand, but she would not listen.

In both cases, simple past can be used without would such as: they admitted neither x nor y or she did not listen. But I am wondering whether 'would' can be used in this way.

Edit:

Another question on would in past narrative: X was perhaps the event which would trigger world war. (is would here the same as 'was to'?).

Mr. X

Last edited:
Hello,

I am wondering whether would can be used in place of did not in past narrative.
For example: They would admit neither X nor Y. He tried to make her understand, but she would not listen.

In both cases, simple past can be used without would such as: they admitted neither x nor y or she did not listen. But I am wondering whether 'would' can be used in this way.

Edit:

Another question on would in past narrative: X was perhaps the event which would trigger world war. (is would here the same as 'was to'?).

Mr. X
Yes, all your examples are fine, "would" is used correctly. However, in this example it implies a refusal to listen that is not necessarily implied with "did not": "He tried to make her understand, but she would not listen".

Yes, all your examples are fine, "would" is used correctly. However, in this example it implies a refusal to listen that is not necessarily implied with "did not": "He tried to make her understand, but she would not listen".

Thanks for pointing that out.

What about the first example - would admit neither... does would here merely function as the past of will?

It's also a refusal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back