Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I'm writing to find out what is said
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bIMTXETPJo&t=1624s

at 0:22
The tree ??? on the first December and gets taken down...

at 0:46-0:48
He ??? a sandwich to you.

at 1:17-1:19
We've gone to so jeffer???. Just been t... me ignored.

Thank you.
It's pleasure but a challenge to learn spoken English with TV shows.

Last edited:
You forgot to give a link to the show you're talking about.

I'm writing to find out what is said
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bIMTXETPJo&t=1624s

at 0:22
The tree will go up on the first December and gets taken down...

at 0:46-0:48
He ??? a sandwich to you.
You don't want a sandwich, do you?

at 1:17-1:19
We've gone to so jeffer???. Just been t... me ignored.
We've gone to such effort.... (We've) just been totally ignored.

Thank you.
It's pleasure but a challenge to learn spoken English with TV shows.

Understanding the English accents in the video is a bit of a challenge for this American. :) See transcriptions above.

I know that the most common reasons why we (non-natives) fail to figure out what is said are items we haven't known so far and just blending the sounds and inability to feel the boundaries between words. It's perfectly proved with the example of "to such an effort". I suggested it might have been an unfamiliar word and even looked up in a dictionary. But in fact most people speak simple on daily bases.
I really appreciate all your help.

I know that the most common [STRIKE]reasons[/STRIKE] reason [STRIKE]why[/STRIKE] we (non-natives) fail to figure out what is said [STRIKE]are[/STRIKE] ​is that there are [STRIKE]items[/STRIKE] words we haven't [STRIKE]known[/STRIKE] come across [STRIKE]so far[/STRIKE] ​before; [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] we just blend[STRIKE]ing[/STRIKE] the sounds [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] because of our inability to feel the boundaries between words. It's perfectly proved with the example of "to such an effort". I [STRIKE]suggested[/STRIKE] thought it might have been an unfamiliar word and even looked it up in a dictionary. [STRIKE]But[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] The fact is that most people speak simply on a daily [STRIKE]bases[/STRIKE] basis.
I really appreciate all your help.

Note my corrections above.

Thank you for your corrections. I'm sorry that my mistakes led to misunderstanding of what I meant. I'll try again.

In most cases it's not an insufficient vocabulary that prevents me from getting aware of what I hear but pronunciation. In terms of "such effort" I know every word in this group, however the consonant assimilation at word boundaries makes them to have a different pronunciation from that they have said by themselves. I can hear -dj- sound in between and this confuses me.
So I guess people either fail to understand spoken English because they haven't come across a word before or they can't distinguish separate words in a cluster. And this second reason is of my current interest.

Thank you for your corrections. I'm sorry that my mistakes led to a misunderstanding of what I meant. I'll try again.

In most cases it's not [STRIKE]an[/STRIKE] insufficient vocabulary that prevents me from [STRIKE]getting aware of [/STRIKE] understanding what I hear. [STRIKE]but pronunciation.[/STRIKE] In [STRIKE]terms[/STRIKE] the case of "such effort," I know every word in that group. However, the consonant assimilation (?) at word boundaries makes them[STRIKE] to[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]have[/STRIKE] a different pronunciation...

Grammar may also play a role in why non-natives have such a hard time understanding spoken English. I didn't fix the whole passage but as you can see, you made quite a few grammatical mistakes in such short sentences. I believe as you improve your grammar skills, no doubt you will understand spoken English much better. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back