German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Hi!!

Can anybody tell me which pronounciation of "demand" is used more often:
"dɪˈmɑːnd" or "dɪˈmænd" ?

Also, can anybody PM me for a recording of a related word?

Thanks for your time!

This is fairly easy.

[dɪˈmɑːnd] is mostly British English

[dɪˈmænd] - American English

This is fairly easy.

I'm sorry but what about PM? I wish I could have something to give her a PM. That's a girl, I guess!

Also: /dəˈmɑ:nd/, BrE.

Thanks for your help everyone!

I'm sorry but what about PM? I wish I could have something to give her a PM. That's a girl, I guess!

I need a native english speaker to record a "demand"-related word, so I can see how it's exactly pronounced and if other people that only hear it are able to type it.
So, please PM me if you like, I don't know how this works on here :)

Download the mp3s from here and bookmark the site.

This is fairly easy.

:up:But it's not as simple as that. The English spoken by the Pilgrim Fathers was regional (not RP). So they used words like 'fall' [=autumn] and 'gotten' [=got] not because they were Am English (which didn't exist as a concept at the time!) but because they were the sort of English they used. 'Demand' is widely pronounced with an /æ/ in many parts of England; during my Teaching Practice I was known as 'the teacher who talks posh' because my accent is not too far removed from RP. (Many schoolchildren, say about fifty years ago, acquired an RP accent for use in front of teachers and reverted to a regional variety at other times. With me it just stuck ;-))

And as 5jj pointed out, the unstressed syllable if often pronounced with a schwa.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back