Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
I am wondering if the word "invest" could be used in this text. Do my sentences sound natural?

Paul was devastated when Claudia told him she wanted to break up the marriage. He had invested so much in their relationship - not only emotionally but financially too. Now he regretted all the presents he had bought her during the years: a diamond ring, a car, a laptop and expensive designer clothes. He sat at the edge of the bed with his head in his hands, close to tears. "How stupid I am," he said. Some of his friends called him henpecked because he did not dare to stay out late in the night telling them Claudia was waiting for him at home. Now when they heard the news they were going to laugh at him. He would be the butt of their jokes, and when the news spread he wouldn't be able to go into a pub for a pint without blushing.

Last edited:
I am wondering if the word "invest" could be used in this text. Do my sentences sound natural?

Paul was devastated when Claudia told him she wanted to [STRIKE]break up the marriage[/STRIKE] separate/divorce. He had invested so much in their relationship - not only emotionally but financially too. Now he regretted all the presents he had bought her during the years: a diamond ring, a car, a laptop and expensive designer clothes. He sat [STRIKE]at[/STRIKE] on the edge of the bed with his head in his hands, close to tears. "How stupid I am," he said. Some of his friends called him henpecked because he did not dare to stay out late, [STRIKE]in the night[/STRIKE] telling them Claudia was waiting for him at home. Now, when they heard the news, they were going to laugh at him. He would be the butt of their jokes, and when the news spread he wouldn't be able to go into a pub for a pint without blushing.

See above. The end of the final sentence is a bit odd. He might be embarrassed in front of his friends but there's nothing about just entering a pub that would make him blush.

Invest is fine and natural.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back