Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
I came across this web-site looking for a suitable word to describe a person who talks too much, mostly gibberish. Most of the posts didn't really fit and then I came across 'flibberdigibet'. Onomatopoeic too!

Blabbermouth may be what you are looking for. I think flibbertigibbet is almost exclusively used in reference to a young woman.

Last edited:
I came across this web-site looking for a suitable word to describe a person who talks too much, mostly gibberish. Most of the posts didn't really fit and then I came across 'flibberdigibet'. Onomatopoeic too!

"Bloviator" might work.

I wonder if 'blatherskite' might work provided it is still in use of course?

I wonder if 'blatherskite' might work provided it is still in use of course?

That works well. Also the shortened versions, blatherer or blather would work.

There's a rather nice colloquial Irish English tem "gobsh*te".

Last edited by a moderator:
Blabbermouth may be what you are looking for. I think flibbertigibbet is almost exclsively used in reference to a young woman.

Blabbermouth, to me, is someone who regularly lets out secrets.

In my opinon blatherskyte and gobsh*t are both Irish dialect. My Irish grandmother used to say blatherskyte. And from several posts I have come to suspect that our colleague Bhai is a scholar of Irish English.

What about Voluble, is this what are you looking for?

What about Voluble, is this what are you looking for?

That certainly means talkative but it doesn't mean that most of what the person says is gibberish/rubbish.

In my opinon blatherskyte and gobsh*t are both Irish dialect. My Irish grandmother used to say blatherskyte. And from several posts I have come to suspect that our colleague Bhai is a scholar of Irish English.

I am part Irish and I lived in the west of Ireland Gaeltacht (Irish speaking area) in Galway and Mayo for twelve years. During that time I studied Irish Gaelic and mixed with people who spoke a mixture of Gaelic and Irish English. Also my youngest daughter was born there and my middle daughter and three grandchildren live in Co. Mayo. :)

While perusing an online copy of a book about Sussex dialects, I came across this absolutely delightful word for a tell-tale: Blobtongue. I think I might have to try to reintroduce it to my home county.

Source: A Dictionary of Sussex Dialect by Reverend W D Parish (now there was a man whose surname dictated his profession, if ever I saw one!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back