Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
What type of noun is 'word'?

What do you mean by 'also'? You haven't told us what type of noun you think it is yet.

What do you mean by 'also'? You haven't told us what type of noun you think it is yet.

It's a common, and a countable noun.

Last edited:
Right, but you don't need the comma, the "and or the second "a" in that sentence. You can just say:
It's a countable common noun.

If you say the word is, meaning what people are saying, it has no plural- the word is that the minister is going to resign.

If you say the word is, meaning what people are saying, it has no plural- the word is that the minister is going to resign.

I have been waiting for an answer to my question in post 3.

Not that I know of. Do you have a particular use of it that you may suspect is abstract?

Last edited:
That expression does convey an abstract meaning, but it's the whole expression, not just the the first word (word) in it. In other words, this and a few others (a word of advice, a word of caution, etc) are set expressions which should be considered as a whole, not analysed by as individual words. In any case, even in those expressions, it can be argued that "word" is a reference to what a person utters - a common noun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back