... without so much as a watch-my-kit, ...

meliss

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"When Elias was only ten, he slipped into the paddock while the horses were being saddled and leapt aboard not one but two champions, placing a foot on each bare back while clasping the reins of one horse in his left hand and the other in his right; he not only rode off at top speed without so much as a watch-my-kit, but jumped the horses over both walls, in and out, all the while standing on the horses’ backs as if he were nailed to them." (The Afghan Campaign by Steven Pressfield)
Hi, what is it, "a watch-my-kit"?

BrE 'kit' =AmE 'gear', loosely. AmE might well use 'stuff' in this context, as Dave suggests.

Elias jumps into the paddock without even bothering to ask anyone to watch his stuff because he's focused on riding the horses.

I tried to understand that 10-year-old Elias jumped on the horses and, riding at full speed on two horses, performed the evolutions as easily as if he were assembling a DIY watch.
This is how my imagination works. It's a pity that it is an imperfect knowledge of the language.

In what way do you think that "evolutions" means "acrobatics"?
"Acrobatics" and "acrobatic evolutions" are semantically related. In some cases you can replace the phrase "acrobatic evolutions" with "acrobatics", these terms are similar. I think so.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back