Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Is the phrase "without access to food or able to leave their houses" okay in English? It seems to me that it should have been "without access to food or (being) able to leave their houses." I am not absolutely sure. ("Without being able to leave home" is much clearer).

The report doesn't appear to me to be good English. The Lancet just quoted it.

===================
The Lancet tweeted just now:

"Some people were in red zones for 4 weeks, without access to food or able to leave their houses, or able to go and earn money." Cambodia ends strict #COVID19 restrictions but NGOs worry over their reinstatement should cases rise. Megan Tatum reports.

Source: https://twitter.com/TheLancet/status/1399371967065694212

You're right.

Even a very prestigious journal like The Lancet makes a blunder occasionally.

The Lancet isn't particularly known for it's impeccable writing. It's a scientific journal.

Somehow, I think the writer has gotten away with this one. It reads okay to me, even though on analysis it's wrong.

How about and unable?

The Lancet isn't particularly known for it's impeccable writing. It's a scientific journal.

Somehow, I think the writer has gotten away with this one. It reads okay to me, even though on analysis it's wrong.
You're too nice. It made my eyes hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back