With this stone I seal the everlasting, that transgressions past shall not be pursued.

Status
Not open for further replies.

capcap23

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
"With this stone I seal the everlasting, that transgressions past shall not be pursued." source 44:09

I couldn't quite understand this sentence. Isn't "everlasting" adjective and shouldn't there be noun after it?
As far as I understand the way in which "that" is used conveys purpose as in "so that ,in order".

It's bad English. I'd say it was translated literally from some other language, or it's the product of an automatic translation tool. Forget about it.

Just like "all your base are belong to us". Video games from Japan or Korea are not a good way to learn correct English.

As far as I understand the way in which "that" is used conveys purpose as in "so that ,in order".

Right.

I'm not sure what the everlasting refers to, but you can think of the adjective as a noun in this case.

I think the sentence is fine, though poetic and very old-fashioned. It suits the genre, I think.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back