Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I read this part, "with the raw edges fried over", but am finding it difficult to understand it. Could you please let me know what it means? Here is the excerpt:

They had never, in other years sat round the table waiting for meals that seemed as if they would never come: and the chops on Thursday—they were almost raw. It was the first time they had ever sent anything back to the kitchen, and Mrs. Huggett’s hands were quivering when she brought the chops back with the raw edges fried over. She had stood at the door and been almost maddening with her apologies, and Mr. and Mrs. Stevens had said, “It’s quite all right,” so many times that they began to wish that they had shut their eyes and swallowed the raw meat without a word. It was so unlike Mrs. Huggett: she had always been so punctual, and good with the meals before.

- R. C. Sherriff, The Fortnight in September, Chapter 20

This is a novel published in 1931, which describes a fortnight in September in which an English family consisting of Mr. and Mrs. Stevens, Mary, Dick, and Ernie go on a holiday. At the lodgings named "Seaview" in which the Stevens are staying for the holiday, the narrator is thinking how Mrs. Huggett, the landlady, had recently made many mistakes.

In this part, I wonder what this underlined expression means.
Would that mean that the end portions (=edges) of the raw meat (=raw) are baked to be black (=fried), all over again (=over)...? But this is just my humble guess, so I just wanted to ask you.

The meat is undercooked so they send it back to the kitchen. The chef puts the chops in a pan and cooks the edges a bit more. Mrs Huggett brings the chops back to the table.

It's possible that the cook simply seared the edges - held the chops vertically and rolled the edges against the skillet. That would cook the edges a bit yet still leave the center as it was.

I'm hoping it was at least lamb/mutton and not pork!

@jutfrank and @Skrej,

Thank you very much for the explanations.
Oh! So the cook cooked the raw-looking edges--the cut sides of the meat--such that the meat would look like it was cooked thoroughly, when its interior remains raw.
The upper and lower sides of the meat seem already cooked, so the cook decides to fry the raw-looking sides in particular.

In that case, would it be perhaps okay to understand that "fry" (verb) here means "to cook over direct heat", as on a frying pan, rather than roasting it in an oven or even grilling it over a grate, and "over" means "again"...? o_O

To do something over means to do it again. (Preferably better.)

Yes, the cook probably used a frying pan.

when its interior remains raw.
We don't know that for sure.

The meat wasn't cooked thoroughly, especially at the edges. It was sent back and the cook did something about it. Whether it was sufficient or not can't be decided from the passage. It does suggest that it wasn't a great job.

@Coffee Break My impression is that the cook didn't do a good job at all.

If meat is raw it was hardly cooked at all. Just searing the edges isn't going to make much difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back