Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi,
Would you please give me some synonyms to this phrase? I suppose this is too formal to be used in daily speech.

Thanks.

As time went by...

As time past...

As time went on...

Rover

I have never heard of 'past' instead of 'passed'.

Oops!

:oops:Rover:oops:

I'm doing a hundred lines.

Is "with the passing of time" idiomatic?

I used a wrong word probably. I meant an sequence of words that is often used and considered a whole. Not necessarily one that is difficult to translate.

Gosh you're hard on yourself. Twenty lines should be enough. :)

A hundren lines? Twenty lines? You both have lost me there. Could you please tell my what you are talking about.

:up:

A hundren lines? Twenty lines? You both have lost me there. Could you please tell my what you are talking about.

:up:

It's a reference to a school punishment of disobedient or inattentive pupils.

I was punishing myself for making a careless mistake.

Have you seen The Simpsons? In the opening sequence Bart is often shown having been kept behind after school writing the same sentence over and over again on the blackboard.

He's doing lines.

Rover

It's a reference to a school punishment of disobedient or inattentive pupils.

I was punishing myself for making a careless mistake.

Have you seen The Simpsons? In the opening sequence Bart is often shown having been kept behind after school writing the same sentence over and over again on the blackboard.

He's doing lines.

Rover

I see.

My first middle school maths teacher used to ask us to do the same question many times. "Today's homework is to do your exercises ten times.", so went his catch phrase. None of the students have ever visited him after our graduation. :-D

Thanks for your explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back