Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Last edited:
Yes, but it may mean a bit more than that. To me it suggests that such accusations are a major reason an explosion is imminent.

I'd like to know if the red part means "and many accuse"

Don't try to understand this by rephrasing it. You have to look at the logic of the sentence as a whole.

Haiti is “on the verge of explosion,” with many accusing the government of supporting gangs to stay in power as a constitutional crisis looms.

The blue part is a general statement describing the situation in Haiti. The red part expands on this situation by giving more specific detail. I think you can say that the red part explains what is meant by the blue part. That is to say that there is a logical relation between the two parts. We often use the preposition with to do what the red part is doing here.

Here's a similar example, this time with the different parts inverted:

With tens of thousands of people displaced by recent bombings, Gondwanaland faces a humanitarian disaster.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back