With federal agents and the best bounty hunters in the nation massing on their heels

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmvp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
Does "with" mean "because" and If I change "with" to "because" is it correct?

With federal agents and the best bounty hunters in the nation massing on their heels, the gang must rob, steal and fight their way across the rugged heartland of America in order to survive.

Another question does "massing on their heels" mean the bounty hunters are in a large number to chase the gang.

Does "with" mean "because" and If I change "with" to "because" is it correct? No and no.

With federal agents and the best bounty hunters in the nation massing on their heels, the gang must rob, steal and fight their way across the rugged heartland of America in order to survive.

Another question does "massing on their heels" mean the bounty hunters are in a large number to chase the gang Basically, yes, although the large group chasing the gang is a mixture of both bounty hunters and federal agents, not just bounty hunters.

See above.

Does "with" mean "because"
Roughly, yes. It means given those circumstances.
and If I change "with" to "because" is it correct?
"because" shows a more direct causal relationship, whereas "with" explains the context/circumstances that are (directly or indirectly and to whatever extent) contributing to the result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back