Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Me: "Bus A is coming. Bus B is coming soon." In this case which bus will come first?
Friend: A. With context it implies bus A is in sight and is near you. Like if you were at the bus stop and you said that. It'd mean you can see bus A reaching the bus stop.
Me: "Bus B is coming soon." So this means that we will soon see bus B coming while bus A is already coming now. Is that right?
Friend: Yes.
Me: Why not "With the context"?
Friend: I dont know how to explain this.
Me: But we were really talking about that specific context.
Friend: You would still omit the article regardless.
---
Question: Why is it "with context"?

Me: "Bus A is coming.
We would be far more likely to say "The A is coming". The speaker does not need to say that the A is a bus.

"In the context it implies bus A is in sight and is near you." -- I would say this. 🤔

Why is it "with context"?
But to answer your question more generally, "context" can be general and specific.

"With context" means "With whatever context exists".
You might say "In the context" if you're referring to specific context that has been described or that's known to you and the listener.

"Bus A is coming. Bus B is coming soon."
I thought this was the context. :oops:

So, I have got it. That problem is that the friend and you both didn't think that was a context, and that's why the friend used "with context" and 5jj used "in the right context", because they thought there wasn't one. :rolleyes:

that's why the friend used "with context" and 5jj used "in the right context", because they thought there wasn't one. :rolleyes:
Don't put words into my mouth. I did not say that.

Don't put words into my mouth. I did not say that.
Then what did you mean by "in the right context" if you thought the first line was already a context? So did you think that was a wrong context for the answer? If so, you were probably not answering my question, because mine was based on the context.

You asked: Why is it "with context"?
My response was: Neither 'with context' nor 'with the context' is natural. I'd probably say 'In the right context'.

@kadioguy If we say the bus is coming we can see the bus and know it will be at the bus stop soon. Also, I might say "The bus should be here soon" if it's almost time for it to arrive based on the schedule.

You asked: Why is it "with context"?
My response was: Neither 'with context' nor 'with the context' is natural. I'd probably say 'In the right context'.
I asked "Why is it with context?" Because I thought the context was already there, the first line. Thus, why not "With the context"?

You said I'd probably say 'In the right context'. This seemed to me that either you thought there wasn't a context or that wasn't a right context.

Last edited:
I thought this was the context.
To us, the words you spoke are the context. But as far as the question you asked your friend is concerned, was there any? There doesn't seem to have been. If your friend had said "Without context it implies...", I'd have understood. I'm not sure why he used "With context it implies...".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back