Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
In most cases, the relative pronoun is not too far away from the antecedent.
For instance, I met a girl who is really hot last night. The antecedent of this sentence is girl and the relative pronoun is who.

Here is another example:
“Cross is a long piece of wood with a shorter piece across it near the top that people were once fastened to and left to die on as a form of punishment.”

My question is: which word is the exact antecedent of the relative pronoun “that” in this sentence?
The word “top”or “a long peace of wood”

Please explain the reason.
Thanks in advance.

“Cross is a long piece of wood with a shorter piece across it near the top that people were once fastened to and left to die on as a form of punishment.”
You need "A cross".

My question is: which word is the exact antecedent of the relative pronoun “that” in this sentence?
The antecedent isn't just one word. It's "A long piece of wood with a shorter piece across it nearer the top." The entire cross.

Please explain the reason.
That's the only explanation that makes sense in the context. The cross constituted a single thing after it was made, and people were nailed to the cross.

Last edited:
In most cases, the relative pronoun is not too far away from the antecedent.
For instance, "I met a girl who is really hot last night". The antecedent of this sentence is "girl" and the relative pronoun is "who".

Here is another example:
A cross is a long piece of wood with a shorter piece across it near the top that people were once fastened to and left to die on as a form of punishment.”

My question is: Which word is the exact antecedent of the relative pronoun “that” in this that sentence?
Is it the word “top” space here or “a long peace piece of wood”?

Please explain the reason. Unnecessary. You've asked a question.
Thanks in advance. Unnecessary. Thank us after we help you, by adding the "Thanks" icon to any helpful post.
Please note my corrections and comments above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back