Turn forever hand in hand
Take it all in on your stride
It is sticking, falling down
Love forever, love is free
Let's turn forever, you and me
Windmill, windmill for the land
Is everybody in?

Somehow, I'm getting more and more charmed by
this song of Gorrilaz. Although I don't fully understand the lyrics, the more I think about the windmill the more interesting I find the symbol. There's something peaceful about it. Something natural. Ecologically pure even. The revolution of the sails of the windmill can also be interpreted as the change in values (a kind of revolution in people's minds). And the sails make the windmill fly in the sky in the cartoon clip which (I mean flying) I often associate with dreaming... But what on Earth does the first line in bold mean? :)
'Windmill for the land' - what is it about? Could you help me understand the line, please?

It means nothing to me. Is the author a native Anglophone?

The full text of the song is here. Maybe it can shed some light on the issue. I should have given it in the beginning, but it didn't occur to me it was important. :oops:

Many of the words read like they were chosen to fit the meter and rhyme scheme rather than for their meaning.

I'm not sure, but I have a feeling that that particular verse was not only sung but also written by Gorillaz' main creative force Damon Albarn (formerly of Blur), who is a native speaker. Interestingly (to me at least), the rapper is Trugoy of De La Soul fame.

Have you read the comments on songmeanings.com?

https://songmeanings.com/songs/view/3530822107858536472/

Many of the words read like they were chosen to fit the meter and rhyme scheme rather than for their meaning.
Maybe one of the reasons for this is that the lyrics I gave the link to isn't original? I've seen several versions, and all of them are different! I even had to add 'official lyrics' while googling. I'm not the only one who who searched this way though. :) Here some wiser person than me asked for the official lyrics and was given probably the original. I hope so, at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back