Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi there,

Is the verb "wind down" the most common one used for a car window? What's the oppiste?

Ta!

Last edited:
Hi there,

Is the verb "wind down" the most common one used for car window? What's the opposite?

Ta!
Yes, "wind down" is commonly used. The opposite would be "wind up". These two phrasal verbs have other meanings too.

Although in today's modern cars, we are probably more likely to 'put' the window down or up.

As a child I used to wind up car windows, toy cars, clocks and my gramophone. I think this was the key to my happiniess.

Nowadays I wind up nothing but my colleagues.

Yes - it's wind up/down for car windows.

I'm guessing that when our American friends get out of bed they'll tell you it's roll down/up.

Rover

Although in today's modern cars, we are probably more likely to 'put' the window down or up.

As a child I used to wind up car windows, toy cars, clocks and my gramophone. I think this was the key to my happiniess.

Nowadays I wind up nothing but my colleagues.

Many thanks! By "winding your colleagues up" you mean telling them false things just for fun? Thanks again.

Yes - it's wind up/down for car windows.

I'm guessing that when our American friends get out of bed they'll tell you it's roll down/up.

Rover

Nice! (at first I didn't get you cos it's 2.30 pm here! :)) Ta!

By "winding your colleagues up" you mean telling them false things just for fun?
Would I do an annoying thing like that? ;-)

Good call! We do "roll" down our windows and roll up our windows, but we also "put" them up or down.

Would I do an annoying thing like that? ;-)

Oh...That was very kind of you indeed dear Johnson. :) Thanks for the reply. (I thought that was the way you tried to contextualise your examples. So, I'm sorry if I've got it wrong.)

Did I drop a clanger?! :oops:
Not at all. You may have, briefly, taken the wind out of my sails, or even wounded me, but I am used to such feelings. As I approach the end of my working life, I am winding down. The thought of that gives me the wind up sometimes; indeed, it sometimes gives me wind to the extent that I, embarrassingly, break wind.

Sorry, I am rambling, and that makes me feel windy. It's time for me to wind up.

'bye.

Not at all. You may have, briefly, taken the wind out of my sails, or even wounded me, but I am used to such feelings. As I approach the end of my working life, I am winding down. The thought of that gives me the wind up sometimes; indeed, it sometimes gives me wind to the extent that I, embarrassingly, break wind.

Sorry, I am rambling, and that makes me feel windy. It's time for me to wind up.

'bye.

Brill! How can I thank you?! :-o

Wish you all the vary best, dear Johnson! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back