Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Which of the following verb forms are correct?

1 - This is to inform you that our school has organized/is organising/will organise/is going to organise a dance programme on 15 February, 2021.

2- This is to inform you that our school is going to celebrate/will celebrate/is celebrating Mahatma Gandhi's birthday at the school ground on 2nd october this year.

They're all correct. They don't all mean the same thing.

They're all correct. They don't all mean the same thing.

Thank you. Could you please explain? Can I use present perfect (has organised) if a specific time is mentioned?

has organized: the act occurred in the recent past.

is organising: the act is happening now or possibly in the near future.

will organise/is going to organise: the act is expected to happen in the future.

has organized: the act occurred in the recent past.

is organising: the act is happening now or possibly in the near future.

will organise/is going to organise: the act is expected to happen in the future.

Thank you. If it was a exam test, which one would you use?

If it was a [STRIKE]exam[/STRIKE] test, which one would you use?
The tense is determined by the time frame of the action, not by what the sentence is about.

The tense is determined by the time frame of the action, not by what the sentence is about.

I am totally confused.:oops: I can't decide which one would be appropriate. I have seen them be used interchangeably.

You can't use three different tenses interchangeably - each one changes the meaning of the sentence.

I think we first need to know where these sentences come from. Are they from a grammar exercise?

I think we first need to know where these sentences come from. Are they from a grammar exercise?

Yes they are grammar exercises. I am wondering if they are all correct in the context.

All the tenses are possible. However, there are errors in each sentence:

In the first, it should say that the dance has been organised (or any other tense) for 15 February.
In the second, "at school ground" is ungrammatical.

Whatever book of exercises this came from, I suggest you stop using it. Also, you must tell us the title of the book and the name of the author.

Yes they are grammar exercises. I am wondering if they are all correct in the context.

Okay, this information helps a lot, partly because it explains your other post (May/can/should), where you've used the wrong form, and led us to believe that you wrote the sentence yourself.

I'd address your question by making two points:

1) The answers that the person who wrote the exercise wants are: 1) is organizing and 2) will. I'm confident about this, and you'll have to trust this to be the case.

2) The subtle differences between future forms are too many to mention in one post. My advice to you would be to find a very good resource that deals with each form one at a time, with lots of good examples in plenty of context. It's no good looking at contexts where the forms are 'interchangeable'.

Also, please make sure to tell us where you take all sentences that you ask about from. Make it especially clear if the sentences you ask about you have made up yourself.

I notice OP likes to use the word "organizing" of the event. It sounds as if the organizing (preparation and making arrangements) is done on the 15 Feb and not the holding of the event. I don't think people are interested in when you organize an event, but when you have fixed for the event to be held ("for 15 Feb" as stated by emr2d2).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back