[General] "Will modern technology, such as the internet, ever replace the book or the written

Status
Not open for further replies.

UM Chakma

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Singapore
"Will modern technology, such as the internet, ever replace the book or the written

Hi there,
"Will modern technology, such as the internet, ever replace the book or the written word as the main source of information? If it replaces, what will be its impact?
What is actually the main point of this essay question? I mean what it asks me to write?
Well! according to how much I have understood, I mean the answer is "yes", because nowadays most of the books are typed and uploaded on the internet, which are known as e-books. So, the internet has already replaced books to certain degree and will replace in a great significance in the future. Books written are seemingly decreasing day by day.
Did I understand the question/point clearly?

I have actually been confused because of an answer of this essay question, which has been written by someone else. In that answer, it says that the answer of the question is "no", because books are still existing. They are available as e-book on the internet too. So, his main point is that the internet will not replace the book.

My point is that if the books are on the internet, doesn't it mean that they have been replaced by the internet?

Re: "Will modern technology, such as the internet, ever replace the book or the writ

What the question is asking is for an opinion on whether or not technology will replace books.

There is some room to interpret what is meant by replace. To me, 'replace' means nobody uses books at all, but I can understand your interpretation as well.

Since it's an opinion, there is no right or wrong answer, so that's why you're saying 'yes' and the other person said 'no'. You have different opinions, but both are valid. Your answers are also based on different interpretations of 'replace'.

Re: "Will modern technology, such as the internet, ever replace the book or the writ

Thanks pal! If your understanding is right or if "internet replaces books" means nobody uses books, then the answer for this essay question is "no", which means my understanding is wrong. Because, it is not true that nobody uses books because of internet emergence. In future, books will be available on the internet even if they are hardy found in written or printed format.

But it would be much better if I can get some opinion from an expert!

You got a good answer from English teacher Skrej.

After that last remark, I doubt you'll get any more opinions at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back