Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello dear friends and colleagues, in my class I have just faced a cartoon, Peppa pig, ​and I wondered what kind of conditional it is

Danny Dog: Daddy, will you be my boat's captain?

Daddy Dog: I'd be delighted Danny if you'll be my first mate.

Thank you for your help,
ata

This is a real conditional. Danny and Daddy are negotiating a deal. Daddy is accepting an offer and making a counter-offer in return.

Forget about the use of would here—just think of it in the same way as other conditionals with similar 'offer-making' illocution: If you do that, I'll do this.

[STRIKE]Hello dear friends and colleagues,[/STRIKE] Unnecessary.

In my class I have just [STRIKE]faced[/STRIKE] watched a cartoon, Peppa Pig, and I wondered what kind of conditional it is.
;-)

Last edited:
It doesn't fit conveniently into the standard patterns but, if you feel the need to label it, think of it as a first or predictive conditional. 'Will' in that sentence can be understood to mean 'are willing to/agree to'.

Crossposted.

Thank you for your answer. Could you please clarify the definition of the first conditional? If the sentence in #1 (I would be delighted if you will be my first mate.) is the first conditional type, then we need to consider 'would' for future and then 'will', as you mentioned, instead of 'be willing to'. It means that 'would' could be used for future and 'will' for present, is it correct? I mostly doubted it if 'will' could be used like that.

This is a real conditional. Danny and Daddy are negotiating a deal. Daddy is accepting an offer and making a counter-offer in return.

Forget about the use of would here—just think of it in the same way as other conditionals with similar 'offer-making' illocution: If you do that, I'll do this.

Yes, I understand that easily that way, the point is we, teachers, need to explain the use of words and grammar in our classes. The point is why did it use 'will' for the 'if clause.' Thanks,

Yes, I understand that easily that way, the point is we, teachers, need to explain the use of words and grammar in our classes.

Yes, I understand the point. That's what we're trying to help you with here.

The point is why did it use 'will' for the 'if clause.'
See Piscean's point here:
'Will' in that sentence can be understood to mean 'are willing to/agree to'.

Could you please clarify the definition of the first conditional?

The main reason that teachers classify conditionals into type is for pedagogical convenience. The prototype first conditional has a form that can be written along the lines of: if + present simple, + will

If the sentence in #1 (I would be delighted if you will be my first mate.) is the first conditional type, then we need to consider 'would' for future and then 'will', as you mentioned, instead of 'be willing to'. It means that 'would' could be used for future and 'will' for present, is it correct? I mostly doubted it if 'will' could be used like that.

It doesn't fit the first conditional form very well, for reasons you've noticed.

I'd suggest you focus your explanations to your students primarily on the use of conditional sentences.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back