Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Hello.

Dear Rosa,

Hope this finds you all well. I suppose by now school will have closed for Christmas and you will be enjoying / will have been enjoying a rest. It's hard to believe that Tim's already 18 and that it's only a few months until he will be leaving / will have been leaving school for colleague.

Keys say that the future present continuous is the right option here for both cases.
Could you please explain why?

Thank you.

Last edited:
I'd say "and you're enjoying a rest".

And "until he'll leave".

The "have been leaving" forms are incorrect in both cases.

Hello.

Dear Rosa,

Hope this finds you all well. I suppose by now school will have closed for Christmas and you will be enjoying / will have been enjoying a rest. It's hard to believe that Tim's already 18 and that it's only a few months until he will be leaving / will have been leaving school for colleaguecollege.

Keys say that the future present prefect continuous is the right option here for both cases.
Could you please explain why?

Thank you.
Who is Keys? You are required to give the source of your text.

The keyword is "now". The simple present or present continuous tense would suffice. I think the use of the future perfect continuous tense is awkward.
I'd say "until he leaves school for college".

Do not leave a space before and after a slash.

Who is Keys? You are required to give the source of your text.

The keyword is "now". The simple present or present continuous tense would suffice. I think the use of the future perfect continuous tense is awkward.
I'd say "until he leaves school for college".

Do not leave a space before and after a slash.
The sourse is "Advanced Grammar in Use" by Martin Hewings. Unit 11.

I mean answer keys by keys.

The context suggests use of these forms:

I suppose by now school will have closed for Christmas and you will be enjoying a rest. It's hard to believe that Tim's already 18 and that it's only a few months until he will be leaving school for colleague.

It might help you to understand if you shift each verb phrase into the present tense. At the time the reader reads the words:

1) The school has closed.
2) You are enjoying a rest. [ongoing present meaning]
3) He is leaving school. [future meaning]

In 1), the perfect aspect is used to talk about what happened before the time of reading.
In 2) the continuous aspect is used to talk about something that is ongoing at the time of reading (since it is suggested that the message was sent at Christmas time).
In 3) the continuous aspect is used to talk about something in the future, relative to the time of reading.

A colleague is someone you have some kind of relationship with, but not necessarily at a college.

Yes, there should be a college.
I edited my post.

Last edited:
Yes, there should be a I should have written college.
I have edited my post.
Please don't edit parts of a post that have been referred to in a response. Editing post #1 meant that Tarheel's post #6 didn't make sense to anyone new coming to the thread. I have changed "college" back to "colleague" in post #1 to avoid that problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back