Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
“Overcrowding, unmanaged crowds and wide paths filtering into narrow paths are a recipe for disaster,” crowd behaviour expert at the University of Greenwich, Prof Edwin Galea explains.
(Crowd crushes: how disasters like Itaewon happen, how can they be prevented, and the ‘stampede’ myth by Samantha Lock)

Does “filtering into” mean “become”?
Wide paths become narrow paths?

Yes, it's wide paths that become narrow paths.

(The word "overcrowding" means the same thing "crowding" does.)

“Overcrowding, unmanaged crowds and wide paths filtering into narrow paths are a recipe for disaster,” crowd behaviour expert at the University of Greenwich, Prof Edwin Galea explains.
(Crowd crushes: how disasters like Itaewon happen, how can they be prevented, and the ‘stampede’ myth by Samantha Lock)

Does “filtering into” mean “become”? Does it mean that wide paths become narrow paths?
It's not that wide paths become narrow. It's that wide paths hold a lot of people and then, when those wide roads meet a narrow road, all the people on the road have to get from the larger space to a smaller space. With the word "filter", imagine a funnel.

(The word "overcrowding" means the same thing "crowding" does.)
I disagree. Somewhere can be crowded without being overcrowded. The latter suggests that the crowd is larger than is safe or controllable.

The map I saw showed narrow roads to the sides of the wider road.

The dictionary definition of "overcrowding" is "crowding". If you want to say that there are so many people in a certain area that it creates unsafe conditions then say that. A crowd becomes dangerous when it becomes a mob. Or it becomes dangerous when some people panic and cause a stampede.

There is no objective way to define "overcrowding ". So instead of using that word simply say what you mean.

Last edited:
Yes, "overcrowding" is more crowding than is acceptable. That's not an objective definition, is if?

Using shorthand rather than saying what you mean doesn't always work.

For some reason people seem to think that if they disagree with me that will get me to change my mind. That never happens. (If I disagree with you will it get you to change your mind?)

The prefix over- carries the sense of there being too many people.

Yes, "overcrowding" is more crowding than is acceptable. That's not an objective definition, is if?
The article that inspired this discussion uses people per square metre to assess the danger- anything over five seems to be a high risk:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back