Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Swedish
Home Country
Sweden
Current Location
Sweden
Following discussion essay is not any schoolwork, but an essay for a project, I and my friend started. It's my first time using semicolons, are they correctly used? And is the rest correct and formal? If something is not correct, an explanation would be much appreciated. I really want to develop my English skills.
Why read the Classics?
Did you know that every time you read classic literature, you are gaining diverse kinds of knowledge from centuries ago; knowledge that might give benefits, even though not being aware of it. A central figure within classic literature is William Shakespeare, who lived during the 16[SUP]th[/SUP] and early 17[SUP]th[/SUP] century. Many recognize that Shakespeare’s work had a pivotal role in driving the literature and English language forward during his time, with his renowned poets, plays, and sonnets. His importance in modern societies has been a debated topic for many years. Some researchers claim that Shakespeare has in a variety of ways influenced and been beneficial to today’s societies and individuals. And by reading his works you are also being influenced. But, what can we really benefit from reading Shakespeare’s creations today?
Firstly, reading some of Shakespeare’s work could undoubtedly improve your vocabulary and understanding of the English language. Hephzibah Anderson implies this in his informative article “How Shakespeare influences the way we speak today” posted in BBC news, that was published in October 2014 (http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20140527-say-what-shakespeares-words - retrieved 4[SUP]th[/SUP] February 2019). Anderson claims that Shakespeare enriched the English language in ways so profound it is hardly possible to imagine. Therefore, reading his works could give your vocabulary new depths, while words and phrases used in them are commonly used today in more advanced English. Furthermore, Anderson explains that the vocabulary used by Shakespeare impacts the way we experience and apprehend the world around us. For example, how would we be able to feel “bedazzled”, if the word had not existed or if we had no knowledge about the word?
On the other hand, reading Shakespeare’s work is not only beneficial to your English vocabulary, but also your historical awareness. Robert McCrum states this in his article “Ten ways in which Shakespeare changed the world” posted in The Guardian, that was published in April 2016 (https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2016/apr/17/ten-ways-shakespeare-changed-the-world - retrieved 4th February 2019). McCrum mentions that “Shakespeare still dominates the narrative of English history”. Shakespeare’s work describes the sights and sounds in of London, including his observations of current political struggles. Furthermore, reading his masterpieces might also give you a better insight into how the English countryside looked like, the author adds. However, if Shakespeare had biased opinions is a question that should be considered, but nonetheless, you still get his subjective view.
A further aspect to be considered, that McCrum mentions, is that some of Shakespeare’s plays contain sympathy and understanding towards the plight of refugees. Mark Brown also writes about this in his article “William Shakespeare’s handwritten plea for refugees to go online” posted in The Guardian, that was published in March 2016 (https://www.theguardian.com/books/2...s-more-script-play-british-library-exhibition - retrieved 7th February 2019). Brown states that it was an “impassioned plea for the humane treatment of refugees”. Continuously, the author mentions that it is particularly striking and sad just how relevant it is today, but that Shakespeare remains remarkable in the matter.
In conclusion, reading some of Shakespeare’s creations might be beneficial in different aspects of your life, such as your vocabulary, knowledge about history and in the subject of immigration. He has through this affected our society in diverse kinds of ways; ways so profound it could hardly be imagined, and he has undoubtedly changed the world with his renowned works.

The following discussion essay is not any schoolwork but an essay for a project [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] my friend and I started. It's my first time using semicolons. Are they correctly used? And is the rest correct and formal? If something is not correct, an explanation would be much appreciated. I really want to develop my English skills.

Why read the Classics?

Did you know that every time you read classic literature, you are gaining diverse kinds of knowledge from centuries ago, knowledge that might [STRIKE]give[/STRIKE] bring/entail benefits, even though you may not be [STRIKE]ing[/STRIKE] aware of it. A central figure within classic English literature is William Shakespeare, who lived during the 16[SUP]th[/SUP] and early 17[SUP]th[/SUP] centuries. Many recognize that Shakespeare’s work had a pivotal role in driving the [STRIKE]literature and[/STRIKE] English language and literature forward during his time, with his renowned poems, [STRIKE]poets,[/STRIKE] plays, and sonnets [Note that a sonnet is a kind of poem]. His importance in modern societies has been a debated topic for many years. Some researchers claim that Shakespeare has, in a variety of ways, influenced and been beneficial to today’s societies and individuals. And by reading his works, you are also being influenced. But, what can we really benefit from reading Shakespeare’s creations today?
Firstly, reading some of Shakespeare’s work could undoubtedly improve your vocabulary and understanding of the English language. Hephzibah Anderson implies this in his informative article “How Shakespeare influences the way we speak today” [STRIKE]posted in BBC news, that was[/STRIKE] published in October 2014 (http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20140527-say-what-shakespeares-words - retrieved 4[SUP]th[/SUP] February 2019). Anderson claims that Shakespeare enriched the English language in ways so profound [STRIKE]it is[/STRIKE] and hardly possible to imagine. Therefore, reading his works could [STRIKE]give[/STRIKE] enrich your vocabulary, [STRIKE]new depths,[/STRIKE] while words and phrases used in them are commonly used today in more advanced English. Furthermore, Anderson explains that the vocabulary used by Shakespeare impacts the way we experience and [STRIKE]apprehend[/STRIKE] comprehend the world around us. For example, how would we be able to feel “bedazzled”, if the word had not existed or if we were not aware of it? [STRIKE]had no knowledge about the word?[/STRIKE]

On the other hand, reading Shakespeare’s work is not only beneficial to your English vocabulary, but also your historical awareness. Robert McCrum states this in his article “Ten ways in which Shakespeare changed the world” posted in The Guardian [STRIKE], that was[/STRIKE] and published in April 2016 (https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2016/apr/17/ten-ways-shakespeare-changed-the-world - retrieved 4th February 2019). McCrum mentions that “Shakespeare still dominates the narrative of English history”. Shakespeare’s work describes the sights and sounds [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] of London, including his observations of current political struggles. Furthermore, reading his masterpieces might also give you a better insight into how the English countryside looked like, the author adds. However, if Shakespeare had biased opinions is a question that should be considered, but nonetheless, you still get his subjective view.

A further aspect to be considered, that McCrum mentions, is that some of Shakespeare’s plays contain sympathy and understanding towards the plight of refugees. Mark Brown also writes about this in his article “William Shakespeare’s handwritten plea for refugees to go online” posted in The Guardian [STRIKE], that was[/STRIKE] and published in March 2016 (https://www.theguardian.com/books/2...s-more-script-play-british-library-exhibition - retrieved 7th February 2019). Brown states that it was an “impassioned plea for the humane treatment of refugees”. [STRIKE]Continuously,[/STRIKE] The author repeatedly mentions that it is particularly striking and sad just how relevant it is today, but that Shakespeare remains remarkable in the matter. [I don't understand that underlined part]

In conclusion, reading some of Shakespeare’s [STRIKE]creations[/STRIKE] works might be beneficial in different aspects of your life, such as your vocabulary, knowledge about history and [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] on the subject of immigration. He has through this affected our society in diverse kinds of ways, ways so profound [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] they could hardly be imagined, and he has undoubtedly changed the world with his renowned works.
Note how I added blank lines to separate your paragraphs. Your use of semicolons is incorrect. Semicolons are used to separate independent clauses that are strongly related in theme.
For example:
It wasn't the man who shot the bird; it was the woman.

It strikes me that (a) this isn't a literature question and (b) there haven't been any literature questions for a long time.

I miss them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back