[General] Why is the letter "W" pronounced "double-u"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tryna learn English

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
United States
Shouldn't it be "double-v"?
Also why do I never hear people in my area pronounce it "double-u" but just "doub-u" (like "double" without the second syllable, sounds like "dub-u") instead?
I'm in California, US.

'Shouldn't it be "double-v"?'
No. It should be "double-u."
'why do I never hear people in my area pronounce it "double-u" but just "doub-u" ?'
Just keep on listening. Maybe listen in a different area of California.

Shouldn't it be "double-v"?
Also why do I never hear people in my area pronounce it "double-u" but just "doub-u" (like "double" without the second syllable, sounds like "dub-u") instead?
I'm in California, US.
"The Germanic /w/ phoneme was therefore written as 'vv' or 'uu' ('u' and 'v' becoming distinct only by the Early Modern period) by the 7th or 8th century ... "
W - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, if you look at the handwriting of many English speakers, you will see that a "w" looks more like two "u"s next to each other. Most computer keyboards make it look like to "v"s. If you turn your screen (or your head) upside down and look at the letter "m", you will see how a handwritten "w" sometimes looks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back