Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Australia
How many hours I should learn English a week.
Manuel

As many as possible.

I cannot learn English fast either, due to my poor aptitude, that's why.

It's possible to speed up a bit by letting English into your life. Don't think about English as a subject you are studying bur rather think about where you can start using English on a daily basis. For example, you can switch all your electronic devices, your browser and your mail box to English. Next, if you have a hobby, find a relevant English-speaking community like a forum or a blog and get involved in it (first, through reading and then by commenting or asking questions). This way you'll boost up both your vocabulary and grammar in the most practical way. Once you start feeling quite comfortable there, you can think about transferring your work or study into English. Good luck!

ps. In case of no hobby, photo sharing might be an alternative.

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Manuel:

Of course, you can learn English faster. It all depends on how badly you want to learn it. Believe me: if you were suddenly put in a place where everyone spoke only English, you would learn English very fast.

By the way, I believe that you should have asked: "How many hours a week should I study English?"

Remember that millions of people learn languages every year. Those people may not be especially gifted in languages. Remember the old saying: "Practice makes perfect."

James

For me, I listen, I read and then I forget, but this site has helped me a great deal to brush up on my English. I can now spot some grammar errors I haven’t noticed before. Also, my writing has improved, no doubt about it.

How many hours I should learn English a week.

There's no fixed perfect number of hours- different people learn at different speeds, but the more time you can dedicate to learning, the better.

More sugar gives more taste, right? Well, learning anything takes time and when it comes to learning a language the same is true.
Anyways, you should also listen to the commentary of the game you like. Really, it has given a great boost in my English learning process. But still, learning is a life time task.

Just stick notes on all objects in your room with English words and make an effort to speak English and constantly practice writing paragraphs on topics such as tigers, pollution, internet safety, etc...

I hear, I forget. I see, I remember. I do, and I understand. - Confucius

Read a lot as well. Watch movies that are in English or have English Subtitles.

***Not a teacher***

Last edited:
Yes you can learn English only by practice
a. Speak a little English every day
b. Work on your pronunciation
c. Expand your vocabulary and use idiomatic phrases
d. Attend an English class or discussion group.
e. Carry a dictionary
f. Improving Your Writing, Reading and Listening Skills
g. Listen to English radio or pod casts
h.Watch English movies and TV shows
i. Read an English book, newspaper or magazine

Last edited:
Nafisah, please ensure you start all attempted responses with "Not A Teacher". Also, please correct the information in your member profile.

Nafisah, you shouldn't be disappointed! No one is a perfect. I am sure that you have enough motivation for learning English language. And first of all don't give up! I don't know how old are you but you should know older people learn longer than youth one.
All the best,
Mark

Nafisah, you shouldn't be disappointed! No one is [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] (no article here) perfect. I am sure that you have enough motivation for learning the English language. [STRIKE]And[/STRIKE] First of all, don't give up! I don't know how old are you but you should know older people take longer to learn [STRIKE]longer[/STRIKE] than [STRIKE]youth[/STRIKE] young [STRIKE]one[/STRIKE] people.
All the best,
Mark

Mark, as an English teacher, it is vital that your posts are written correctly and grammatically. Learners here will look at your profile, see that you are an English teacher, and assume that everything you write is correct. Please see my corrections to your post above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back