Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Please correct this funny story. Thanks!

Why don’t we like studying history?

“History is a interesting and useful major. We get what happened in the past”. The teacher said.
A pupil have just hear these, raise his hand and talk.
“So, I think that we shouldn’t study history”
“Why?”. The teacher is amazing.
“Because learning history is not future”. The pupil said.

Last edited by a moderator:
“History is an interesting and useful major. We get what happened in the past,” the teacher said.
A pupil who [STRIKE]have[/STRIKE] just heard [STRIKE]these[/STRIKE] this, raised his hand and spoke.
“So, I think that we shouldn’t study history.
“Why?” [STRIKE].[/STRIKE] The teacher was amazed.
“Because learning history is not future,” the pupil said.

You don't start a new sentence to say "the teacher said", etc.
If you end with a question mark, you don't put a full stop as well.

(I don't get the joke.)

A pupil [STRIKE]have[/STRIKE] who just heard [STRIKE]these,[/STRIKE] [Note no comma] that raised his hand and said. [STRIKE]talk.[/STRIKE]
See above.

“Because learning history is not future”.
That doesn't make sense. Maybe you meant: because there's no future in studying history.

This is my rewrite.
“History is an interesting and useful major. We get what happened in the past”, the teacher said.
A pupil who just heard that raised his hand and said.
“So, I think that we shouldn’t study history”
“Why?” The teacher was amazed.
“Because learning history is not future”, the pupil said

Did you read my comment above?

Did you read my comment above?
Yes, I did teechar. I am thinking about my answer. I can’t afford to express fluently so I need more time to answer your question.

If you simply replace the last line of dialogue with the one teechar suggested, it will be a great improvement.

See above.

That doesn't make sense. Maybe you meant: because there's no future in studying history.

I meant: because there's no future in the past ( learning history mean to learning about the past)

I meant: because there's no future in the past (learning about history means [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] learning about the past).
You can use that.

I meant: because there’s no future in the past (learning about history means to learning about the past)

I meant: because there’s no future in the past (learning about history means [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] learning about the past)

Yes, I think we've grasped what you mean and we have given you several different natural ways of expressing it. Telling us over and over again what you meant but using ungrammatical constructions isn't going to help you.

Teechar's "There's no future in history" is actually funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back