Why do we use wasn't not weren't here with delays ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

abo.omar

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
hhhh.jpgIf it wasn't for those delays on the motorways, we would never have missed the wedding.
Why do we use wasn't not weren't here with delays?

Last edited:
If it wasn't for those delays on the motorways, we would never have missed the wedding.

I would use "weren't" (subjunctive after "If"). I would change "never" to "not".

In real life, I'd say "If it hadn't been for those delays on the motorway, we'd have made it to the wedding".

I would use "weren't" (subjunctive after "If"). I would change "never" to "not".

In real life, I'd say "If it hadn't been for those delays on the motorway, we'd have made it to the wedding".

hhhh.jpg

Does the picture of the dictionary say we can use the three forms or I misunderstand it ?

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 4134

NOT A TEACHER

Abo.omar, I cannot find the source, but I have read that nowadays some (many?) native speakers prefer to use the subjunctive "weren't" only for the present and the indicative "wasn't" for the past.

Thus: "We missed the wedding. Darn it! If it wasn't for the delays on the freeway that day, we would have arrived on time."

Thus: "I just can't get Mona to go to the movies with me. If I weren't so shy, I am sure that I could get her to accept my invitation."

NOT A TEACHER

Abo.omar, I cannot find the source, but I have read that nowadays some (many?) native speakers prefer to use the subjunctive "weren't" only for the present and the indicative "wasn't" for the past.

Thus: "We missed the wedding. Darn it! If it wasn't for the delays on the freeway that day, we would have arrived on time."

Thus: "I just can't get Mona to go to the movies with me. If I weren't so shy, I am sure that I could get her to accept my invitation."

Sorry to say that I do not find these rules in grammar book, but that is the fact.

Sorry to say that I do not find these rules in grammar book, but that is the fact.
They were not 'rules'. TheParser was giving his impression of what some (many?) native speakers say today.

This may be true of speakers of AmE. My impression is that most speakers of BrE would say (retaining TheParser's AmE vocabulary).

"We missed the wedding. Darn it! If it hadn't been for the delays on the freeway that day, we would have arrived on time."
"I just can't get Mona to go to the movies with me. If I wasn't so shy, I am sure that I could get her to accept my invitation."

I would use weren't in the second one, but I am well past my best-by date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back