Why didn't it/this/that occur to me sooner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

99bottles

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
Those three pronouns confuse me. Can someone explain to me, for example in the sentence below, which I should use and why?

-Why don't you try formatting the hard disk?
-Good idea! Darn, why didn't it/this/that occur to me sooner?

I would use "that' there, this:

Why didn't that (formatting the hard disk) occur to me sooner?

I would use "that' there, this:

Why didn't that (formatting the hard disk) occur to me sooner?
Thanks, but why not this or it?

Those These three pronouns confuse me.

-Good idea! Darn, why didn't it/this/that occur to me sooner?

You probably mean that but the context is not very natural so I'd focus on a better example if I were you. Try this:

-That's a good idea.

It should be easier now to see why you mean that.

You probably mean that but the context is not very natural so I'd focus on a better example if I were you. Try this:

-That's a good idea.

It should be easier now to see why you mean that.
But I also want the second speaker to feel stupid and wonder why it/this/that didn't occur to him sooner.

But I also want the second speaker to feel stupid and wonder why it/this/that didn't occur to him sooner.

Okay. Still, use that.

The rules for the choice of reference words are tremendously opaque. Nevertheless, I'm feeling brave enough to give you a dangerously oversimplified rule of thumb to follow: In dialogue, person B will refer to something person A has just said with that.

Okay. Still, use that.

The rules for the choice of reference words are tremendously opaque. Nevertheless, I'm feeling brave enough to give you a dangerously oversimplified rule of thumb to follow: In dialogue, person B will refer to something person A has just said with that.
So, if he was talking to himself, would it be this? (Wait, I know! I can try formatting the hard disk. Darn, why didn't this occur to me sooner?)

It's more likely, yes.

I think you may have got the basic principle. It's similar in written English: we refer to one of our own ideas, say, in a directly previous sentence, with this, not that. Again, it's more complex than this, but it's a pretty good rule of thumb.

(Notice how I did exactly what I'm talking about in the final sentence above.)

Last edited by a moderator:
As an aside, apparently one of Darwin's associates, on being told about natural selection exclaimed "How stupid of me not to have thought of that!".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back