[Grammar] Why are people everywhere there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suicedent

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I have a question about the sentence order. What is correct: Why are people everywhere there? or Why are there people everywhere? And give me explanation please.

I have a question about the [STRIKE]sentence[/STRIKE] word order of a sentence. [STRIKE]What[/STRIKE] Which of the following sentences is correct?

1. Why are people everywhere there? [STRIKE]or[/STRIKE]
2. Why are there people everywhere?

[STRIKE]And[/STRIKE] Also, please give me an explanation. [STRIKE]please.[/STRIKE]

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

First, please note that I have changed your thread title. Titles should be unique and relevant to the thread, and should contain some/all of the words/phrases/sentences you are asking us about. Your original title "There question" would not have helped to distinguish it from loads of other threads on the forum.

Have you seen both of those word orders used when you've been reading something in English? If so, where, and in what context?

They are both correct but differ in meaning.

Why are people everywhere there?

That means that a place (for example, England or Yonkers) is overrun with people and we'd like to know why.

Why are there people everywhere?

That means why do people inhabit the entire world.

Last edited:
Why are there people everywhere?
This could also mean, in the right context, Why do we see people all around us in this location?

They are different in meaning, aren't they?

Probus has already shown that they are.

So, I cannot understand yet. These two options are correct or not? If they are, Do they have difference or I can use them both in the same sentences ?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-08-26 at 8.17.35 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-08-26 at 8.17.35 PM.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 2021-08-26 8.29.14 PM.jpg
    2021-08-26 8.29.14 PM.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 3
[STRIKE]So, I cannot[/STRIKE] I don't understand yet. Are these two options [STRIKE]are[/STRIKE] correct or not? If they are, do they have [STRIKE]difference[/STRIKE] different meanings or can I [STRIKE]can[/STRIKE] use them both in the same [STRIKE]sentences[/STRIKE] sentence?

Please note my corrections above.

How would you use both of them in the same sentence?

I'm pretty sure Suicedent means "can I use them interchangeably in the same (longer) sentences [because they have the same meaning]?"

Suicedent, probus and 5jj already answered your question clearly and accurately, with definitions.

They are both correct but differ in meaning.

Please note my corrections above.

Honestly, I was sure all the time that the option "Why are people everywhere there" was only correct option where the word "there" must be in the sentence until I and my friend started to discuss about it. I'm confused right now.

I'm pretty sure Suicedent means "can I use them interchangeably in the same (longer) sentences [because they have the same meaning]?"

Suicedent, probus and 5jj already answered your question clearly and accurately, with definitions.

Thank you, I guess I get it now.

Honestly, I was sure [STRIKE]all the time[/STRIKE] that [STRIKE]the option[/STRIKE] "Why are people everywhere there?" was the only correct [STRIKE]option where[/STRIKE] position for the word "there" [STRIKE]must be in the sentence[/STRIKE] until my friend and I [STRIKE]and my friend[/STRIKE] started to discuss [STRIKE]about[/STRIKE] it. I'm confused right now.

Thank you. I guess I get it now.

emsr2d2

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back