[General] Why am I unable to translate some English words/phrases into my own language?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alessio91

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
UK
Hello,

English is not my first language, but after moving to England over two years ago I'm now unable to translate some words/phrases by using my first language. Why is that?

It's very strange, there are things that I know what they means, but only in English. For some reasons I don't know how to translate them (I'm also studying at university here in England).

I'm curious to know how the brain works in this situations.:)

Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm curious to know how the brain works in this situations.:)
Thanks!
It sounds like a situation in which the brain isn't working! ;-)
As you would have discovered, not every word or phrase has a cognate word or phrase in another language, so there might not be a direct translation. The good news is that you are thinking in English!
I could make some deeper observations about second language acquisition, but I don't have time at the moment.

Last edited:
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Alessio:

I think that translation is truly a wonderful art.

Each year, I hear, the best translations are given awards by various bodies.

I have collected three quotations that I hope will inspire and console you in your work.

1. "Translation is a series of impossible decisions." -- Edward Seidensticker.

2. "Translation is always a treason and, as a Ming [dynasty in China] author observes, can at its best be only the reverse side of a brocade -- all the threads are there, but not the subtlety of color or design." -- Okakura.

3. And this one, I think, really hits the nail on the head:

"The art of translation lies less in knowing the other language than in knowing your own." -- Ned Rorem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back