Who speaks better English (from English teachers' point of view)

Status
Not open for further replies.

holdenenglish

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Hong Kong
Hi teachers

Just want to do a small survey. From the perspective of English teachers, who in the video (the narrator, or the white shirt man) does better in English speech?

https://youtu.be/ucklNdip_6M?t=20

Cheers

Holden

What do you mean exactly?

The narrator speaks with a perfect RP accent and delivers his lines in a pleasant, measured cadence. The man in the striped shirt has a trace of a foreign accent in the way he pronounces his Rs. Both are reading from a script so we can't tell from the video which one speaks "better" English.

If the dude in the cowl approached me and asked "Can you direct me to the post office?", I'd turn and run.
If the other guy asked the same question, I'd answer him sensibly.
Is that what you mean by "better"?

The man in the white shirt has clearly been dubbed over- if you watch his mouth, there are times when we hear sounds and his lips are closed, and other times when his lips are moving and we hear nothing.

The narrator speaks with a perfect RP accent and delivers his lines in a pleasant, measured cadence. The man in the striped shirt has a trace of a foreign accent in the way he pronounces his Rs. Both are reading from a script so we can't tell from the video which one speaks "better" English.

The narrator is definitely not English, and there is some iffy pronunciation in there, in my opinion.

The man in the white shirt has clearly been dubbed over- if you watch his mouth, there are times when we hear sounds and his lips are closed, and other times when his lips are moving and we hear nothing.

Well observed. Watching his lips, I'm not even sure he's speaking English.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back