Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Canada
He did not mean to be impertinent to Mr. Heaslop, who had never done him harm, but here was an Anglo-Indian who must become a man before comfort could be regained.
A Passage to India by E. M. Forster
I do not understand 'who must become a man.'

Without further context, I assume it refers to someone who needs to grow up a bit. How old is the person being talked about?

Without further context, I assume it refers to someone who needs to grow up a bit. How old is the person being talked about?
He is referred to as 'young'.

Then he is probably a boy.

In the story, Ronny Heaslop is a city magistrate in India, at the start of his diplomatic career. He's a graduate of the British public school system (a factor in the story), and has been in India for a few years, so he's probably in the 20-25 year range.

'Young' here seems to refer more to his maturity and life experience than his physical age. Part of the story hinges on his lack of character development and inability (or unwillingness) to think for himself.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back