Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
1. A gives an interview to B.
= B interviews A. Correct?

2. A gives B an interview.
= A interviews B. Correct?

No. I read 2 as meaning the same as 1.

It really depends on context. If, say, Microsoft gives me an interview, it could be they are interviewing me for a job. Or it could be that a company spokesperson is allowing me to interview them for a magazine article.

It would be a lot easier for us to help you if you gave us sentences that don't use "A" and "B". What are the actual sentences you plan to write?

The interviewer is the one who asks the questions. The interviewee is the one who answers the questions.

The interviewee is the giver, as the interviewer is the one who gets something out of the transaction. In journalism, for example, I can't quite see how the journalist is 'giving' anything—she's the one who's receiving, since she asks for the interview to happen.

Well, you could argue that the interviewee receives a chance to be in the limelight.

Well, you could argue that the interviewee receives a chance to be in the limelight.

Yes, but with respect I think that's a weak argument.

In a very basic sense, a question is a demand to the listener. (The French cognate verb demander often translates best as 'ask' or 'request'.) The answerer gives the questioner an answer. You don't give questions.

I suppose it depends on what type of interview you're talking about. Thomas Sowell has several interviews on YouTube. They are designed to look like conversations. The interviewer asks a question. Doctor Sowell explains things, and we are all smarter.
😊

Yes, but with respect I think that's a weak argument.

In a very basic sense, a question is a demand to the listener. (The French cognate verb demander often translates best as 'ask' or 'request'.) The answerer gives the questioner an answer. You don't give questions.
Fair enough. It's subjective, I guess.

It would be a lot easier for us to help you if you gave us sentences that don't use "A" and "B". What are the actual sentences you plan to write?
Elton John gave an interview to Barbara Walters (=he answered her questions).
(https://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/interview)

Now, here is what I understand. If a (famous) person accepts an interview from, for example a journalist, that person answers questions from the journalist, then we say that person gives an interview to the journalist. But if I’m looking for a job, we don’t say I give an interview to the interviewer of a company. Am I correct?

Yes, you're right. The company interviews you.

Whether it's a journalist or someone in a company, they ask you questions and you answer them. They interview you.

Elton John gave an interview to Barbara Walters (He answered her questions).
(https://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/interview)

Now, here is what I understand. If a famous person does an interview with, for example, a journalist, that person answers questions from the journalist, then we say that person gives an interview to the journalist. But if I’m looking for a job, we don’t say I give an interview to the interviewer of a company. Am I correct?
Just say you went for a job interview.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back