Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Great Britain
Hello,

I've looked at the old (closed) thread on the same phrase but didn't get the answer I was looking for. Could anyone tell me if 'Who am I kidding' can be used to indicate 'there's no point in trying'?

Thank you.
KW

NOT A TEACHER

Let's say that you're applying for a job. At some point you realise that you're probably not going to get the job because you lack the necessary qualifications. You then can say, "I'm not going to get the job. Who am I kidding?". So basically it means: who am I fooling?

Last edited:
You don't necessarily use it when there is no point in trying, but when you realize that something you are already trying to do (or that you have suggested trying) has no chance of success. The example above is a good one.

I know - let's invite the President of United States to be the speaker at our graduation ceremony?
Immediately after: Oh, who am I kidding. He'd never some to our little town just to talk to a bunch of high school graduates.
Or, after two months of trying to find out who you even ask to get this to happen: Who am I kidding? Getting through this bureaucracy is impossible and he'd never come anyway.

Thank you both!

The actual situation was this: I was asked by my female friend why I don't wear make-up, and as I really don't care how I look beyond hygiene, I cheerfully replied: 'Who am I kidding? I'm not in that sort of game any more!' - She responded: 'Ah, fair enough.' ...but then I asked myself if I really understood the meaning of 'who am I kidding' - hence the post.

Did I used the phrase as I intended or did it convey something else? Any input is very much appreciated! :)

KW

Well, it would sort of imply that you have considered the idea of finding a romantic partner an impossible task. I would not want to speculate why that would be so.

It's possible that you're already part of an established couple, so you don't need to play "that game" (of attracing someone else).

Did I use[STRIKE]d[/STRIKE] the phrase as I intended or
Welcome to the forums. :hi:
And a very wram welcome to a fellow typophile. ;-)

Oh, thanks! An [STRIKE]elemental[/STRIKE] elementary mistake... > 5jj

Last edited:
Barb_D: "you have considered the idea of finding a romantic partner an impossible task"

That's exactly what I wanted to say! Rather pleased with your explanation...thank you very much :)
I've decided to leave that 'usual stuff' to other people long time ago - I'm too busy enjoining my life!

Last edited:
"...enjoying my life"
:-D

"...enjoying my life"
:-D

Do[STRIKE]ug[/STRIKE]h! I thought the spell checker was on... Hold on, that's a valid word...maybe I was indeed busy enjoining (urging to do something) my life :)) No, it was a mistake, but now I know a new word. Thanks for pointing that out! > tzfujimino

Last edited:
Dough! I thought the spell checker was on... Hold on, that's a valid word...maybe I was indeed busy enjoining (urging to do something) my life :))
That is the sort of excuse I sometimes try to come up with when I am caught out. Experienced typophiles like Barb and me are not fooled. I think I am going to enjoy having you around; you will draw some typophobic attention away from my psots.

That is the sort of excuse I sometimes try to come up with when I am caught out. Experienced typophiles like Barb and me are not fooled. I think I am going to enjoy having you around; you will draw some typophobic attention away from my psots.

Obliged... 'psots' --> 'posts' ;)

Much as I love the idea of the bread-related exclamation "Dough", I'm afraid I have to point out that it's "Doh!" (from The Simpsons).

Much as I love the idea of the bread-related exclamation "Dough", I'm afraid I have to point out that it's "Doh!" (from The Simpsons).

Oh, is it!? One more new (informal) expression added - the usage as an exclamation is not in the Cambridge Dictionary (just yet). Thank you! :))

Oh, thanks! An elemental mistake... > 5jj
Elementary. ;-) An elemental mistake would be one of theses:
  • A water molecule has two carbon atoms and one oxygen atom.
  • We were expecting a flood, but instead we were swallowed up by the earth.
(Note: these are not serious possibilities. I can't think of a real-life vontext that would justify this collocation. ;-__

b

I can now say D'oh at myself! I stand corrected having found that the original usage in The Simpsons has an apostrophe and should be "D'oh" although in my experience very few people using it themselves put the apostrophe in.

Here it is in all it's Homer-esque glory.

Last edited:
Elementary. ;-) An elemental mistake would be one of theses:
  • A water molecule has two carbon atoms and one oxygen atom.
  • We were expecting a flood, but instead we were swallowed up by the earth.
(Note: these are not serious possibilities. I can't think of a real-life vontext that would justify this collocation. ;-__

b

Haha, I didn't know my writing is so amusing! But maybe I should have stuck to a simple word such as 'basic' :)

b

How about a real-life constest, then? ;-)

"Context" phew... I didn't see it. :|

Oh, is it!? One more new (informal) expression added - the usage as an exclamation is not in the Cambridge Dictionary (just yet). Thank you! :))

It's in the Oxford dictionary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back