Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
United States
White or Asian.JPG

I don't know which groups I belong? White or Asian or Both of them.

Caucasian?

I'm a learner, not a teacher.

Which group(s) do you feel you belong to?

Both of them, I think.

If your ancestors are Iranian, you are from the Middle East and should select "white" according to the rules you posted.

You are not obliged to identify yourself according to those descriptors.

Why not just identify yourself as Iranian/Persian?

My personal opinion is that it's unhelpful to pigeonhole people in such broad terms as white or Asian.

It's possible that it-is-niaz is in fact obligated to select one of the proposed categories. This may be a requirement for an American university application, for example. I usually pick "other" or "declines to state" if one of those options is available, but some forms don't allow for that.

I agree that these classifications are not helpful though!

It's possible that it-is-niaz is in fact obligated to select one of the proposed categories. This may be a requirement for an American university application

Seriously? A university could obligate you to define yourself in terms such as this before considering your application? I find that very unsettling. Are you sure that's right? Why do you think that is?

I may have been mistaken about that. According to this blog post, the widely-used Common Application for university places clearly makes this declaration voluntary. Applicants who declare a race that qualifies as an "underrepresented minority" may benefit from affirmative-action plans that increase their chance of being admitted.

It's possible that it-is-niaz is in fact obligated to select one of the proposed categories. This may be a requirement for an American university application, for example.
Yes. Exactly, a university in U.S asked me to choose one of those options while filling application form.

You are not obliged to identify yourself according to those descriptors.

Why not just identify yourself as Iranian/Persian?

My personal opinion is that it's unhelpful to pigeonhole people in such broad terms as white or Asian.

Race/Ethnicity
Optional
Colleges and universities are asked by many groups, including the federal government, accrediting associations, college guides, and newspapers, to describe the ethnic/racial backgrounds of their students and employees. In order to respond to these requests, we ask you to answer the following two questions.

If you'd prefer not to answer the question, you should read the application instructions carefully. It's very likely that you are not required to answer it.

It does say 'optional'.

If you'd prefer not to answer the question, you should read the application instructions carefully. It's very likely that you are not required to answer it.
No, Actually I wanted to know which group I belong to.

No, Actually I wanted to know which group I belong to.

Your ethnicity cannot and should not fit into any of those groups. However, since I assume you are of Persian ancestry, I'm confident the person who invented those categories would want to describe you as white.

I'm confident the person who invented those categories would want to describe you as white.
Yet that could be reducing the chances of being accepted.

Yes. Exactly, a university in U.S asked me to choose one of those options while filling application form.

If you feel strongly about this, reject the idea. If you don't, game the system and select the one that you think will give you an advantage.

Don't put incorrect information on your application. As a person from the Middle East, you are white according to the rules you posted. You can state that or not as you choose. It won't affect your chance of admission.

Asian is not an underrepresented minority in American universities, so choosing that wouldn't help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back