Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
Hi everyone, I am a new here nor a native speaker. Could you please help me on these .

Theme: Breaking Limits, Building Legeds

Explanation : Its something like, Plan today make possible tomorrow . In terms of the word "Breaking Limits" the first thing we need to do as a students is to prepare known as to plan whereas or while "Building Legends" is your dream as of today when it will or may happen we can call it a legend of yesterday's dream .

Which one is correct? Whereas or while? Are they the same meaning?

What should I use? "Will or May"?

Please help . Willing to learn . Many thanks in advance .

Forget about the word "whereas" unless you are writing a resolution for some group (like a legislature) to formally adopt.

Theme: Breaking Limits, Building Legeds

Explanation : Its something like, Plan today make possible tomorrow . In terms of the word "Breaking Limits" the first thing we need to do as a students is to prepare known as to plan whereas or while "Building Legends" is your dream as of today when it will or may happen we can call it a legend of yesterday's dream .

Am I the only one who can't make hardly any sense of this?

It's almost a word salad. (For learners, that's a random, meaningless collection of words.)

Am I the only one who can't make hardly any sense of this?
You've used a construction common in my dialect: can't make hardly any sense or, more generally, can't hardly. (Learners, this is a double negative. In standard English we say "can hardly".) I have a feeling it was a typo, not an expression of a usage common to your variety of the language. :)

You've used a construction common in my dialect: can't make hardly any sense or, more generally, can't hardly. (Learners, this is a double negative. In standard English we say "can hardly".) I have a feeling it was a typo, not an expression of a usage common to your variety of the language. :)

Thanks for pointing that out. I originally wrote the sentence without hardly, then judged the sentence as a bit harsh, so decided to add it, obviously without bothering to read it back. Sorry.

Thanks for pointing that out. I originally wrote the sentence without hardly, then judged the sentence as a bit harsh, so decided to add it, obviously without bothering to read it back. Sorry.
Given my propensity for mixing up basic grammar terms, I can't hardly* blame you. :)

(*Learners, please see post #5 and don't emulate my usage above.)

Given my propensity for mixing up basic grammar terms, I can't hardly* blame you. :)

I'm having a 'hard-to-focus' day. There's a sweltering heatwave going on here right now. I can't hardly think!

Anyway, welcome to the forum, Yssa.

Your questions are not easy to answer because it is hard to understand what you mean to say. Could you try explaining again, please?

A heatwave in England is what? Above 25 C? We're about 90 F (32 C) with a dew point of 70 (21). Sticky.

I can't hardly think!
If you want to sound really authentic, be sure to pronounce can't to rhyme with "ain't". Come to think of it, the vowel in "think" is not too far from that one, either.

A heatwave in England is what? Above 25 C? We're about 90 F (32 C) with a dew point of 70 (21). Sticky.
93 F here, with the same dew point thanks to unusually low humidity - only 47%.

Off-topic:

There is no official definition of a heatwave in the UK. However, some people might find this article interesting.

some people might find this article interesting.

"Sales of hand-held ice-creams increased by 24% on the previous June. More people also dined alfresco, with demand for quiche up 11% and worries about a lettuce shortage."

Funny that—I popped to the Co-op earlier this eve with a rare hankering for quiche, only to find they'd sold out! No word of a lie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back