Academic
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
United States
Are these sentences correct:

1) He was not helping me, which was what he had to do.
2) He didn't help me, which was what he had to do.

3) He didn't help me, which was what I expected him to do.

I thin they are, but they are unclear. This is specially clear in the case of '3' where it is not possible to say what I expected him to do.

Is that correct?

Gratefully,
Navi

Are these sentences correct:

1) He was not helping me, which was what he had to do.
2) He didn't help me, which was what he had to do.

3) He didn't help me, which was what I expected him to do.

I they are, but they are unclear. This is specially clear in the case of '3' where it is not possible to say what I expected him to do.

Is that correct?

Gratefully,
Navi

Try:

He didn't help me, which was what I had expected.

I suppose those sentences are grammatical, but they hardly make any sense. (How can anybody be required to not help someone?)

I think they are, but they are unclear.
One way you can avoid the ambiguity in those is to use "even though" in your sentence. Try and post below.

Thank you both very much,

I will give it a shot!

4) He didn't help me, even though he had to.
5) He didn't help me, even though that was what he had to do.
6) He didn't help me, even though I expected him to.

However I can't tell if Tarheel's

7) He didn't help me, which was what I had expected.

is ambiguous or not. I tend to think it means that I expected him not to help, but I am not sure it's not ambiguous.

Gratefully,
Navi

I wouldn't take "He didn't help me, which was what I expected" as ambiguous. I would read it only as "He didn't help me and his lack of help was exactly what I [had] expected".

I wouldn't take "He didn't help me, which was what I expected" as ambiguous. I would read it only as "He didn't help me and his lack of help was exactly what I [had] expected".

Exactly right! Also, navi tasan, your sentences in post #5 are quite clear. "He" doesn't want to help you even tho he is obliged to and is expected to help you. Stop depending on him! ;-)

4) He didn't help me, even though he had to.
5) He didn't help me, even though that was what he had to do.
6) He didn't help me, even though I expected him to.
Yes, those work. You can also use, for example, "even though he was obliged/supposed/meant to".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back