Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
Let's assume that there are two people in a photo, one of whom is a friend of mine, but I can't quite make out who is who. Which sentence is correct?

Which one is you?

Which one are you?

Thanks.

Which one is you?

Let's assume that there are two people in a photo, one of whom is a friend of mine, but I can't quite make out who is who. Which sentence is correct?

Which one is you?

Which one are you?

Thanks.

Hi!

I'm not a teacher.

I think along this line:

The sentence "Which one is you?" has the subject 'which one', the linking verb 'be' and the complement 'you'. So, in my opinion 'is' is the right form of the verb 'to be'. 'You' modifies 'which one' - the subject that is in the third person singular thus forcing us to use 'is'.

I'm not a native speaker.

Last edited:

Which one is you?

Which one are you?

Thanks.
***NOT A TEACHER*** Good news! An expert in English grammar told me: (1) Both answers are correct. (2) The only difference is the subject. (3) If you think "which one" is the subject, then ask: Which one is you? (4) If you think "you" is the subject, then ask: Which one are you? (5) Either question is "good" English. Thank you for asking the question. It forced me to better understand my native (and only) language.

***NOT A TEACHER*** Good news! An expert in English grammar told me: (1) Both answers are correct. (2) The only difference is the subject. (3) If you think "which one" is the subject, then ask: Which one is you? (4) If you think "you" is the subject, then ask: Which one are you? (5) Either question is "good" English. Thank you for asking the question. It forced me to better understand my native (and only) language.

"Which one are you" sounds better to me, but I thought that "which one" was the only possible subject, thus ruling out "are."

"Which one are you" sounds better to me, but I thought that "which one" was the only possible subject, thus ruling out "are."
***NOT A TEACHER***Yes, "Which one are you?" also sounds better to me. Thanks to that expert who helped me, I can say it with 100% confidence. On the other hand, I now understand why a famous grammar book says "Which is you?" is also "good" English.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back