[Grammar] Which one is gramatically correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoli

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Romania
1. "I'm looking forward to receive the link to the certificate of completion."
2. "I'm looking forward to receiving the link to the certificate of completion."

Should I use "receive" or "receiving"?

Thanks

It's receiving. Verbs after look forward to take the ing form.

To be more precise, "look forward to" is followed by a noun phrase (e.g., "I look forward to your visit"). The "to" is a directional preposition, not an infinitive marker.

In the case of "I'm looking forward to receiving...", the word "receiving" is a gerund (a noun formed by adding -ing to a verb).

Is there any difference between "I look forward" and "I'm looking forward" other than they're followed differently? The first seems to be in the simple present, the second in the continuous present.

Also, when talking about a certificate I feel that "I'm looking forward on GETTING my new certificate" sounds more natural than receiving. Isn't it?

"to", not "on".

There is no real difference in meaning between "I am looking forward to" and "I look forward to". Both are commonly used and are interchangeable.

"get" is an informal word; "receive" is more formal. In the context above, you'll encounter "getting" more often in casual spoken conversation, and "receiving" more often in formal writing.

Note that "I'm looking forward to ..." would be used only when talking about how you feel right now, in one instance. "I look forward to" is sometimes used at the end of a letter in the same way that "I'm looking forward to" would be.
However, "I look forward to" can also be used to express habitual actions.

I'm looking forward to meeting you. (How you feel right now about a single forthcoming meeting.)
I look forward to your reply. (Slightly more formal, likely to be seen at the end of a letter/email but also expressing the one instance of "your reply".)
I'm looking forward to Christmas. (Refers only to the next Christmas that will happen.)
I look forward to Christmas every year. (Habitual.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back