Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Which month were you born?

1. I was born in May.
2. I were born in May.

May I ask which answer is correct?

Thanks.

I, too, am quite certain that you know one of them is wrong.

Note, also, that although the question you used is heard more often than not in everyday English, it's not grammatically correct. You used a preposition in both of your suggested answers, correctly. That preposition should also appear in the question. Can you construct the grammatical version of the question?

I, too, am quite certain that you know one of them is wrong.

Note, also, that although the question you used is heard more often than not in everyday English, it's not grammatically correct. You used a preposition in both of your suggested answers, correctly. That preposition should also appear in the question. Can you construct the grammatical version of the question?

Should be "Which month were you born in?

Am I right?

Yes, or "In which month were you born?"

So - which do you think is the correct answer?

The reason why I posted this thread was because I heard both answers saying by native English speakers.

Yes, or "In which month were you born?"

So - which do you think is the correct answer?

I think the correct answer is "I was born in May."

Am I right?

The reason why I posted this thread was because I heard both answers saying by native English speakers.

I think the correct answer is "I was born in May."

Am I right?

Yes. If you've heard I were born in May, you were listening to someone speaking in a nonstandard dialect.

Say:

I have heard both answers from native English speakers.

Or:

I have heard both answers spoken by native English speakers.

I'd say 'What month were you born in?'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back