Which are the possible ways to pronounce the word 'britain'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manuel2P

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hello:

I have heard that there are three possible ways of pronouncing 'britain': complete plosion, incomplete plosion and schwa.

I guess the first one is the traditional one, standard English, with a "strong" /t/; the second one would be a softer /t/ and the third one just with a schwa sound, but I'm confused and I don't know how to write it phonetically. Could you write them for me, please?

Thanks.

Where did you hear this? The 't' may be released nasally, and the /n/ may be syllabic, but you cannot contrast complete/incomplete plosion and schwa.

Where did you hear this? The 't' may be released nasally, and the /n/ may be syllabic, but you cannot contrast complete/incomplete plosion and schwa.

Ok, then tell me please, which do you think are the forms of pronouncing 'britain'?

Phonemically I'd go for somewhere in this range: /ˈbrɪtən/, /ˈbrɪt[SUP]ə[/SUP]n/, /ˈbrɪtn/.

Phonemically I'd go for somewhere in this range: /ˈbrɪtən/, /ˈbrɪt[SUP]ə[/SUP]n/, /ˈbrɪtn/.
I thought they were three different ways of transcribing the same sound. But I can't think of any other way to pronounce "Britian"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back