Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
"Africa. It's where I was born and raised. And where you miss the rains from."

Hello, everyone. Quoted is what Trevor Noah said at the beginning on show when speaking of Africa. Does it mean that he, living in the US, "misses the rains from Africa"?

Yes. I think it's a reference to the lyrics of the song "Africa" by Toto.

"I miss the rains down in Africa".

And does the OP sound correct to native speakers?
I miss the rains (down) in Africa.
I miss African rains.

But: "I miss the rains from Africa." ??

It's like the rains come from Africa to where he lives, and there hasn't been any for a long time now.o_O

And does the OP sound correct to native speakers?
I miss the rains (down) in Africa. Yes, especially if you've ever heard the song.
I miss African rains. Uncommon, but acceptable and natural enough in the right context.

But: "I miss the rains from Africa." ?? It's grammatical, but nobody would ever say it.

It's like the rains come from Africa to where he lives, and there hasn't been any for a long time now.o_O

He's clearly deliberately playing with the word order to reference the song. I immediately started singing the song as soon as I read the first sentence. I'm not sure if it's intentional, but the phrasing also makes me think of Men at Work's chorus ("I come from a land down under") in "Down Under".

The sentence is fine. Call it a bit of poetic license if it's difficult for you to accept, but anyone who gets the pop culture reference wouldn't even think twice about it.

Last edited:
So maybe "I miss the rains down in Africa." is a common mishearing of the lyrics, since the actuall lyrics are "I bless the rains down in Africa."
(I've always liked this song too by the way(y))

Last edited:
So maybe "I miss the rains down in Africa no full stop here" is a common mishearing of the lyrics, since the actual lyrics are "I bless the rains down in Africa."

Well, well, well! You live and learn. I've been singing along with that song since it came out and never realised that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back