• Thread starter Yourjones
  • Start date
  • Views : 2,512
Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

Yourjones

Hi,

When I am sure my daught has a pain somewhere on her body, should I ask "Where is the pain?", "Where is sore?" or "Where aches"? or else? Thanks.

Hi,

When I am sure my daught has a pain somewhere on her body, should I ask "Where is the pain?", "Where is sore?" or "Where aches"? or else? Thanks.

"Where is the pain?" "Where is it sore?" These both work.

When I am sure my daughter has a pain somewhere [STRIKE]on[/STRIKE] in her body, should I ask "Where is the pain?", "Where is sore?" or "Where aches"? or else? Thanks.
I'd leave out the 'in her body'.

'Where does it hurt?'

I'd also use:
What hurts?
Where does it hurt?

I used to say just "Stop whingeing. It'll go away"

;-)

(My parenting skills probably reached their low when my son, a born-again hypochondriac, was about sixteen. Just before school one day, he complained of pains in his stomach area, and said he thought he might have appendicitis. I, a qualified First Aider and St John Ambulanceman, prodded him a bit and told him to stop whingeing, go to school and take a laxative that evening. My wife phoned me at work later that day to say that he had been rushed to hospital from school with acute peritonitis.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to say just "Stop whingeing. It'll go away"

;-)

(My parenting skills probably reached their low when my son, a born-again hypochondriac, was about sixteen. Just before school one day, he complained of pains in his stomach area, and said he thought he might have appendicitis. I, a qualified First Aider and St John Ambulanceman, prodded him a bit and told him to stop whingeing, go to school and take a laxative that evening. My wife phoned me at work later that day to say that he had been rushed to hospital from school with acute peritonitis.)

I think that should be in the dictionary as the definition of "Oops".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back